Friday, March 3, 2017

Arian Songs From Musicals



Aries 

A sign of fire, ruled by Mars, which confers, among other things, the will to expand, to conquer, and the impulse to fight. Arians are fast, dynamic, self-confident and often enthusiastic about things. They have an enviable energy, which sometimes leads them to be aggressive, restless, argumentative, stubborn. They like to lead and prefer to give instructions than receiving them and don’t accept the advice of others.


 

"Don't Rain on My Parade"
Funny Girl 
(Jule Styne/Bob Merril)

"Don't tell me not to fly
I simply got to
If someone takes a spill
It's me and not you
Who told you
You're allowed to rain on my parade"
Funny Girl is the musical about the life of actress Fanny Brice, which took Barbra Streisand to stardom in the 60's. The film adaptation earned Streisand a best actress Oscar, tied with Katharine Hepburn in The Lion in Winter. In Don’t Rain On My Parade, despite Nick Arnstein's gambling and illegality past, Fanny is decided and determined to marry him, despite all the advice.




They are independent and concerned with their own ambition and goals. Although they do not demonstrate, they can be temperamental, aggressive and proud. They are very individualistic, but do not like to live alone.


Oklahoma! is the musical that marked the beginning of the Golden Age of American musicals in 1943, a phase that lasted until Hair's debut in the 1960s. Oklahoma! Innovated by institutionalizing in musical theater the dramatic structure created in Show Boat, the development of the "book", where songs and dances are fully integrated into a concise story with dramatic goals capable of evoking genuine emotions other than laughter.


"Lonely Room"
Oklahoma!
(Rodgers & Hammerstein)


"I ain't gonna dream about her arms no more!
I ain't gonna leave her alone!
Goin' outside
Git myself a bride
Git me a womern to call my own"


They are impulsive and ardent by nature.
They are physically harmonious and sexually attractive.
Aries does not like to wait. Arians can not stand to fail or to err.
They can be selfish and difficult.


 


"I'm Calm"
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
(Sondheim)


"I'm calm
I'm calm
I'm perfectly calm
Indifferent to tensions and shocks
Unruffled and ready
My nerves are as steady
As rocks!"

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum is a Sondheim musical comedy inspired by Plauto's Roman farces, which won the Tony award for best musical in 1962, and turned into a movie in 1966. The story is about the slave Pseudolus, who helps his young master to conquer his neighbor in exchange for his freedom. I'm Calm is a perfect illustration of how musical theater can do magic with anxiety. Hysterium, the confused slave, tries  in vain to get rid of his rage.




They are adventurous, energetic, pioneers and brave. They tend to take a lot of risk.
They like to win and to be spontaneous. They are courageous, combative, and often have the qualities necessary to overcome, to accomplish, to command, to impose discipline. They support good causes and do not admit tyranny.


Of recent Broadway shows, Wicked is perhaps the most popular of them. The story of witches of Oz, Elphaba and Glinda, has no Dorothy or Somewhere Over The Rainbow, but has won audiences worldwide, recruiting a legion of devout and faithful fans, with songs by renowned Godspell and Pippin composer Stephen Schwartz. The musical consolidated Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel as leading ladies in contemporary musical theatre. In Defying Gravity, Elphaba is disappointed with the Wizard and decides that she has to face his evil plans.

 

"Defying Gravity"
Wicked
(Schwartz)


"Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap!”


Arians generally have great energy and vitality.
Their adventurous and leadership spirit requires a lot of self-control and vital energy, which can sometimes cause conflict.



 

"Heaven On Their Minds"
Jesus Christ Superstar
(Webber & Rice)


"My mind is clearer now...
At last all too well
I can see
Where we all soon will be
If you strip away
The myth from the man
You will see where we all soon will be"
In the gospel according to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, Jesus Christ Superstar, the apostle Judas is concerned about Jesus' growing popularity as "king" and the negative repercussions that may come from it. Although he still loves Jesus, he believes that Jesus is only a man, and that the growth of his movement will eventually become a threat to the greater order, bringing consequences not only to Jesus, but also to all his followers.




Gostam de enfrentar desafios, com sua imensa coragem, que adoram exibir constantemente, e que é muito admirada. São animados independentes, dinâmicos. Interessam-se por atividades competitivas, exercícios, música rítmica, entre outras coisas.

One quality: leadership.
One flaw: impatience.



Quotes and Sayings


If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I'm not sure what I want but I want it now!

Damn Yankees debuted on Broadway in 1955, starring Gwen Verdon, where she met Bob Fosse, who choreographed the musical. Verdon became his wife and muse, later. An adaptation of the legend of Faust, who sells his soul to the devil, the comedy is about the New York Yankees baseball team in the 1950s, when they dominated the American League. In Whatever Lola Wants, Lola, who sold her soul to be beautiful, seduces Washington Senators Joe Hardy at the behest of the devil himself.


 

"Whatever Lola Wants"
Damn Yankees
(Richard Adler/Jerry Rossz)


"What ever Lola wants
Lola gets
Take off your coat
Don't you know you can't win?
You're no exception to the rule
I'm irrisistible, you fool
Give in ”


"I am the master of my destiny. I'm the captain of my soul."
—William Ernest Henley

I know I'm not easy to get along with.



 


"I'm Gonna Wash That Man 
Right Outa My Hair"
South Pacific
(Rodgers & Hammerstein)


"I'm gonna wash that man
Right outa my hair
And send him on his way
I'm gonna wave that man
Right outa my arms
And send him on his way
Don't try to patch it up
Tear it up, tear it up!
Wash him out, dry him out,
Push him out, fly him out,
Cancel him and let him go!"

South Pacific was a revolutionary musical from the late 1940s in which Rodgers and Hammerstein decided to adapt the tales from James A. Michener's Tales of the South Pacific on World War II and to pass a progressive message against racism. In I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair, American nurse Nellie, who gets involved with the French farmer Emile is annoyed after hearing rumors that he would have already committed a murder, realizing she fell in love without knowing him at all.



If you want something done right, do it yourself.

“If I had followed all the rules, I would never have gotten anywhere.”
—Marilyn Monroe



Starring Ethel Merman, Annie Get Your Gun hit the Broadway stage in 1946 with songs by Irving Berlin. The story is a fictionalization of the life of circus shooter Annie Oakley and her romance with also shooter Frank Butler. The musical won a film adaptation in 1950 starring Betty Hutton. One of its musical numbers, There's No Business Like Show Business, is today is one of the most iconic Broadway numbers, and the song is highly associated with showbiz in general, playing in movie awards , etc. In Anything You Can Do, Annie and Frank collide egos.

 

"Anything You Can Do"
Annie Get Your Gun
(Irving Berlin)


"Anything you can do
I can do better
I can do anything better than you
(...)
Anything you can be
I can be greater
Sooner or later
I'm greater than you”


Sources:
playbill.com | personare.com | euroresidentes.com | meuastrolabio.blogspot.com | wikipedia.org 
vidaeestilo.terra.com.br | vagalume.com.br | wattpad.com | altoastral.com.br | wemystic.com.br 
baudalola.com | perguntascretinas.com.br | thoughtcatalog.com | thezodiaccity.com



 


VITOR FERREIRA is an actor with a MFA in "Motion Pictures and Television" at the Academy of Art University, in San Francisco/CA, and graphic designer. Lives currently in São Paulo.

Resume and demo reel: http://vffvitor.wixsite.com/actor
Design portfolio: http://vffvitor.wixsite.com/designer

No comments:

Post a Comment