Sunday, March 5, 2017

Scorpio Songs From Musicals




Scorpio

Water sign governed by Pluto, which confers great magnetism and power, determination and creativity. Those born in Scorpio are intelligent, arrogant, have strong emotions and feelings, are very persistent, but can also be spiteful and stubborn. The passionate Scorpio exudes sex, hunger and thirst for a love that only multiple orgasms can satisfy.



After Hair broke the traditional musical theatre mold, musicals were no longer just traditional orchestra shows, so Richard O'Brien created his rock opera, a humorous tribute to science fiction and horror B movies from the 1950s, which opened in the West End in 1973. Heavily influenced by the 1960s and 1970s counterculture, the show was groundbreaking for its approach of taboo subject matters. Rocky Horror is one of the musicals which are mostly famous for its film version, a breakthrough for Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon, and to this day is one of the most celebrated cult films. In Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me, the virginal heroine Janet succumbs to her carnal desires for Rocky.


"Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me"
The Rocky Horror Show
(Richard O’Brien)


"I thought there's no use getting
Into heavy petting
It only leads to trouble
And seat-wetting (...)
I'll put up no resistance
I want to stay the distance
I've got an itch to scratch
I need assistance
Touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me
I wanna be dirty"



They are impatient. On the bright side, they are emotional, determined, powerful and passionate. Scorpio is a sign with a lot of magnetism. They awaken the curiosity of the people, thanks to the mystery that they create around themselves.




"You're The One That I Want"
Grease
(John Farrar)


"I got chills
They're multiplying
And I'm losing control
'Cause the power you're supplying
It's electrifying
You better shape up
'Cause I need a man
And my heart is set on you"

Created in 1971, Grease is a 1950s rock musical, and despite being a lightweight teenage romantic comedy, it also addresses taboo subjects such as teenage pregnancy. Like Rocky Horror, Grease is best known for its 1978 film version, starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton John, which to this day is one of the biggest box office hits and soundtrack sales in history. New songs, such as Hopelessly Devoted to You and You're The One That I Want were written by John Farrar for the film, and due to the resounding success, have been incorporated into the following stage versions.




Cold blood is thir best asset. They can be jealous, compulsive and obsessive. Scorpios also tend to be resentful and stubborn. At times they may be vindictive, sarcastic, intolerant, manipulative, cruel, and vain.



After several romantic and comedy hits, Sondheim wrote a dark horror musical with a Hugh Wheeler's book, based on a homonym play from 1973. Set in 19th-century England, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street details the return of barber Sweeney Todd to London after 15 years of exile, to take revenge on the corrupt judge who convicted him and destroyed his family. He conspires with Mrs. Lovett, who uses the flesh of his victims to make pies. The musical premiered on Broadway in 1979. In 2007 it was adapted for screen by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonhan Carter.


"Epiphany"
Sweeney Todd
(Sondheim)


"His throat was bare beneath my hand (...)
I will have vengenance
I will have salvation (...)
And I will get him back
Even as he gloats
In the meantime
I'll practice on dishonorable throats
And my Lucy lies in ashes
And I'll never see my girl again
But the work waits
I'm alive at last
And I'm full of joy"



Scorpio likes truth, and enjoys working when it has a purpose. Scorpio enjoys getting involved in causes and convincing others. They are attracted to the competition, and for this they count on great intelligence, besides being good strategists.


"A Call From The Vatican"
Nine
(Maury Weston)


"Who's not wearing any clothes?
I'm not!
My darling, who's afraid to kiss your toes?
I'm not!
Your mamma dear
Is blowing into your ear
So you'll get it loud and clear
I need you to squeeze me here...
And here...
And here...”
Fellini's 8 ½ is considered one of the masterpieces of world cinema. The story is about film director Guido Contini's midlife crisis and his many muses and lovers. Composer Maury Weston adapted the story to an unpretentious workshop, but the project ended up going to Broadway in 1982 as Nine, starring Raul Julia. It had several revivals, including one with Antonio Banderas and Chita Rivera. In 2009, Rob Marshall, who directed Chicago, took it to the screen with a stellar cast, such as Daniel Day Lewis, Sophia Loren, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz and Marion Cotillard. In A Call From The Vatican, Guido receives a call from his lover Carla.




Suspicious and jealous, they preserv their privacy at all costs, and preserve family life in the most traditional way possible. Scorpio does not like easy caresses and can't stand adulation. Scorpio does not like superficialities, meaningless relationships.


Joanne, one of Bobby's friends, sings The Ladies Who Lunch, a song that ironises and judges the futility of rich and wealthy women who waste their middle-aged lives without doing anything meaningful while dining out in a nightclub with Bobby and her third husband Larry. The Ladies Who Lunch became one of Company's "showstoppers", with its bossa nova beat, and one of Sondheim's most revered songs as well.



"The Ladies Who Lunch"
Company
(Sondheim)


"Here's to the ladies who lunch
Everybody laugh
Lounging in their caftans
And planning a brunch
On their own behalf
Off to the gym, then to a fitting
Claiming they're fat
And looking grim,
'Cause they've been sitting
Choosing a hat
Does anyone still wear a hat?
I'll drink to that"



They are very demanding on everything. They are usually quite discreet, especially in professional life. They can become chronic materialists and consumerists.


One quality: Insight
One flaw: Wrath


Quotes and Sayings


An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.

"The first kiss is not given with the mouth, but with the eyes."
—O. K. Bernhardt





"Can't Take My Eyes Off You"
Jersey Boys
(Bob Gaudio)


"You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you
You'd be like heaven to touch
I want to hold you so much
At long last love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive
You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you"

Jersey Boys is the musical that tells the story of the Four Seasons, four young Italian-Americans from New Jersey who had several hits on the hit charts in the '60s. The biggest Broadway hit of 2005, the musical won 4 Tony awards, including best musical. The original production ended in January 2017, completing a 12 year run. Can't Take My Eyes Off You was one of the biggest solo hits of Frankie Valli, lead singer of the band, composed by Gaudio, also a member of the Four Seasons who composed all the songs. Clint Eastwood release its film version in 2014, to very little success.




"When I'm good, I'm great. But when I'm bad I'm better. "
—Mae West

Revenge is a dish best served cold.




Carrie is a blockbuster movie from the 1970s by Brian DePalma that made Sissy Spacek famous and revealed John Travolta and Amy Irving. In 1987 it was taken to the stage with songs by Dean Pitchford and Michael Gore, and is considered one of the biggest flops ever produced on Broadway. Adapted from Stephen King's novel, tells the story of a clumsy teenager with telekinetic powers whose solitary life is dominated by an oppressive religious fanatical mother. When she is humiliated by her classmates at prom, she takes her bloody revenge.



"The Destruction"
Carrie
(Gore/Pitchford)


"They'll make fun of you
They will break your heart
Then they'll laugh at you
Watching you fall apart
Doesn't anybody ever get it right?
Doesn't anybody think that I hear?"



Better alone than in bad company.

"Freedom is little. What I desire still has no name. "
Clarice Lispector




"Magic"
Xanadu
(Farrar/Lynne)


"Come take my hand
You should know me
I've always been in your mind
You know I will be kind
I'll be guiding you”

After Grease, Olivia Newton John established herself as a big name in film as well as music. Her next film was Xanadu, a musical with a fantasy plot about a roller disco, with soundtrack composed by Jeff Lynne, of the rock band Eletric Light Orchestra, and John Farrar. Despite the success of the soundtrack, the film was a flop, and inspired the creation of the Golden Raspberry Award for the worst films of the year. Since then, the film eventually gained cult following, and was taken to Broadway in 2007, enjoying success and had several Tony nominations.






Sources:
playbill.com | personare.com | euroresidentes.com | meuastrolabio.blogspot.com | wikipedia.org
vidaeestilo.terra.com.br | vagalume.com.br | wattpad.com | altoastral.com.br | wemystic.com.br
baudalola.com | perguntascretinas.com.br | thoughtcatalog.com | thezodiaccity.com




VITOR FERREIRA is an actor with a MFA in "Motion Pictures and Television" at the Academy of Art University, in San Francisco/CA, and graphic designer. Lives currently in São Paulo.

Resume and demo reel: http://vffvitor.wixsite.com/actor
Design portfolio: http://vffvitor.wixsite.com/designer

No comments:

Post a Comment