Friday, March 3, 2017

Taurean Songs From Musicals




  Taurus

Earth sign, ruled by Venus, which imparts sensitivity and depth to emotions, and amiable dispositions. Enjoys natural things, pleasure, stability and convenience. They use the time to reflect and they like to be attracted to someone. It is the sign of the gluttony.




"Suppertime"
You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown
(Gesner)


"Bring on the soup dish
Bring on the cup
Bring on the bacon and fill me up
Cuz it's supper
supper, supper, suppertime"
In the 1960s, Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz's comic strips, were already extremely popular, and they inspired composer Clark Gesner to write songs about Charlie Brown and his friends. It didn't take long until Gesner's songs become the musical hit You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown in 1967. In Suppertime, Snoopy laments in exaggeration his hunger, until Charlie Brown bring his dinner.



They like to feel safe. They have good hearts and are very affectionate. They always have a great taste for life, and seek both material and spiritual well-being. They are interested in classical or romantic music.


Little Shop of Horrors was the musical that brought fame to the duo Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, who would later compose the songs from the new Disney film musicals. The show is an adaptation of Roger Corman's eponymous B horror movie from the 60's (curiosity: it was Jack Nicholson's debut on screen), about Audrey II, a carnivorous extraterrestrial plant of a decadent floriculture that feeds on meat and blood.


"Feed Me (Git It)"
Little Shop of Horrors
(Menken/Ashman)


"Feed me, Seymour
Feed me all night long
'Cause if you feed me, Seymour
I can grow up big and strong"


Taurus people are, in general, lovers of beauty, of comfort, of everything that gives pleasure, and of romanticism in particular. They also do not like synthetic or fake things and can not afford to stay home too long. Typically, good-quality cultural programs and well-crafted urban projects often attract them. They like comfort and luxury.




"Big Blonde and Beautiful"
Hairspray 
(Shaiman/Wittman)

"Bring on that pecan pie
Pour some sugar on it
Sugar don't be shy
Scoop me up a mess
Of that chocolate swirl
Don't be stingy,
I'm a growing girl ”
Hairspray is a famous 1980s film by controversial director John Waters about a chubby girl from Baltimore who wants to be a dancer in a TV musical show in the 1960s. Adapted for the stage, it gained original songs by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman and was box office and critics success. The plot also focuses on the black civil rights movement, the social discrimination of blacks and fat people, and openly talk about body acceptance.



Jealous, zealous and possessive, Taurus may tend to be inflexible and resentful. Sometimes they can be covetous and allow themselves everything.



One of the most famous fairy tales, Cinderella needs no introduction. The story has countless distinct versions, such as those by Perrault, the Grimm Brothers and even Rodgers and Hammerstein, which initially was a TV special starring Julie Andrews in 1957, and has since been brought to the stage several times. It finally opened on Broadway in 2013. In Stepsisters' Lament, during the ball at the palace, Cinderella's two sisters, without recognizing her, see the prince dancing with a beautiful young girl, and mourn their bad fortune.


"Stepsisters’ Lament"
Cinderella
(Rodgers & Hammerstein)


"Why would a fellow want a girl like her?
A frail and fluffy beauty...
Why can't a fellow ever once prefer
A solid girl like me?"



They are very hardworking, and their stubbornness brings them to the ultimate consequences. In addition to being stubborn, they can also be self-indulgent, jealous, possessive, and materialistic. They do not like interruptions and haste, or feel pressured.





"And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going"
Dreamgirls 
(Krieger/Eyen)

"And I am telling you
I'm not going
You're the best man I'll ever know
There's no way I can ever go
No, no, there's no way
No, no, no, no way
I'm living without you
I'm not living without you
I don't wanna be free
I'm staying
I'm staying
And you, and you
You're gonna love me"

The 60s were fruitful for Motown and its artists. The stories behind artists such as Diana Ross, The Supremes and James Brown inspired Tom Eyen and Henry Krieger to create Dreamgirls, which debuted on Broadway in 1981 and made Jennifer Holiday a star. In 2006 the musical was taken to the screen by Bill Condon, who wrote  the script for Chicago's film version, with Beyoncé, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx and American Idol's Jennifer Hudson, who would win the Oscar of best supporting actress. In And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going, Effie discovers that Curtis, the manager of his musical group, is cutting professional and personal ties with her.




They are conservative, patient, loyal and trustworthy. Your patience and determination end up being of great help in business. They are practical, economical, and your goal is to acquire equity.

One quality: Stability
One flaw: Laziness


Quotes and Sayings



I wish I were less jealous and controlling.

Water dripping day by day wears the hardest rock away.



Adapted from George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion, My Fair Lady is one of the most revered works of musical theater. It tells the story of Eliza Doolitle, a rustic florist who gets  trained by a phoneticist to pose as a society lady at a royal ball. The musical premiered on Broadway in 1956 with Julie Andrews and Rex Harrison. In 1964, its film version directed by George Cuckor was released, starring Audrey Hepburn (singing voice by Marnie Nixon) and Rex Harrison in the lead roles, which won 8 Oscars, including Best Picture, Director and Actor. In I Could Have Danced All Night, Eliza expresses her satisfaction at finally achieving the goal after dedicating herself long and hard.



"I Could Have Danced All Night"
My Fair Lady
(Lerner/Loewe)


"I could have danced all night
I could have danced all night
And still have begged for more
I could have spread my wings
And done a thousand things
I've never done before"


I have your heart and I give you mine to live together the most beautiful love story.

"The heart gives life to all that it loves."
—Anatole France





"(I've had) The Time if My Life"
Dirty Dancin'
(DeNicola/Markowitz/Previte)

"You're the one thing
I can't get enough of
So I'll tell you something
This could be love, because
I've had the time of my life
And I've never felt this way before
Yes, I swear, it's the truth
And I owe it all to you”

Dirty Dancing was one of many successful musical films in the 1980s that followed Saturday Night Fever's structure, in which songs by famous artists fill the plot of the film, but the characters do not sing to express themselves as in traditional musicals. The story is about a rich girl who falls in love with the dance teacher of her vacation resort as they prepare for a competition. The film turned Patrick Swayze into a star, and won the Academy Award for best original song for (I've Had) The Time of My Life, which topped the charts in 1987, just like soundtrack itself, which included 1960s hits and new songs, like She's Like The Wind.



Half a loaf is better than no bread at all.

"What does not kill you make you stronger."
—Friedrich Nietzsche



George and Ira Gershwin composed Summertime for the opera of 1935 Porgy and Bess, with lyrics by DuBose Heyward, author of the book that inspired the play. It's a lullaby sung a few times during the play. Considered by many, including Sondheim, the greatest song in American musical theater, Summertime has become a jazz standard, being recorded by thousands of artists such as Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sam Cooke and Janis Joplin. Porgy and Bess was the first show comprised of a cast of only black artists. It wasn't popular with the general public due to the heavy subjects of drugs, misery and violence, including part of the black community that felt stereotyped.



"Summertime"
Porgy and Bess
(Gershwin/Heyward)


"Summertime
An' the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
An' the cotton is high
Yo daddy's rich
And yo' ma is good lookin'
So hush, little baby,
Don't you cry"


Sources:
playbill.com | personare.com | euroresidentes.com | meuastrolabio.blogspot.com | wikipedia.org 
vidaeestilo.terra.com.br | vagalume.com.br | wattpad.com | altoastral.com.br | wemystic.com.br 
baudalola.com | perguntascretinas.com.br | thoughtcatalog.com | thezodiaccity.com





VITOR FERREIRA is an actor with a MFA in "Motion Pictures and Television" at the Academy of Art University, in San Francisco/CA, and graphic designer. Lives currently in São Paulo.

Resume and demo reel: http://vffvitor.wixsite.com/actor
Design portfolio: http://vffvitor.wixsite.com/designer

No comments:

Post a Comment